Saturday, June 25, 2011

Chicago PCC cars - From near and far

I can not seem to do anything the easy way.

While I have far more projects than time or common sense would ever allow, I of course, succumb to my inner demons and continue to add to the chaos. Maybe if I spent more time modeling and less time buying more kits and projects, nahhh, that's just crazy talk.

So, I had started the Aristocraft Chicago PCC car bash in large scale several months ago.My ADD kicked in, and of course as the tale of this blog will clearly show, other projects shoved it to the side as more "interesting" things leapfrogged it's position.

I had, in actual point of truth, been considering completion of the Chicago PCC for the Large Scale Trolley Meet at IRM on July 4th. Some additional progress was made, more fill in and adjustments, then finally some primer paint to get a sense of what else was needed to complete the body shell.

No means ready for final paint and finish, but getting closer.



So, based on that progress, what's the most logical thing to do ?
Of course, buy another one !
In the same vein as nothing can ever be done simply,
please note the following example :
(And pay very close attention, there will be a test to follow)

This is an O scale model of a Chicago PCC car (US),
One of the fine models, in kit from, produced by St Petersburg Tram Co, (Russia),
Purchased by myself, from Greg King, in Australia.

Sorta makes your head hurt, don't it ?


I have another St Petersburg car, a CA&E Cincinnati Car. These are such fine scale and relatively delicate models, I've been a bit scared to mess with it too much. Seeing one of their cars in kit form, you can get a better idea of how things go together, and the potential effects of disassembly, etc.

I'll likely power this one, I think I might actually have a pair of PCC trucks somewhere in this mess already. Have to consider possible paint schemes of course, I had already decided the large scale one will be in the final green and creme scheme, partly because it will irritate people that it's in CTA colors and lettering, partly because I'll have to make the lettering myself and a simple CTA herald is a lot easier than the CSL logo, and the tiger striping that will likely go on this O scale model. (It does have decals supplied) So this one is likely to get the blue and creme with red belt rail, ala the car at IRM, just backdated a tad with the tiger stripes on the front end. We'll see, always possible some new project may pop up any second and move this one to the back burners.

1 comment:

  1. DO YOU THINK YOU COULD BUILD ME THE NEW BART train? i would gladly pay for it

    ReplyDelete